libnss-pgsql: how to cache?

I am using libnss-pgsql to obtain passwd and group information from
a PostgreSQL database. Doing a listing of /home takees a good 10
seconds as the database is queried for every entry. I tried
installing nscd to cache the lookups, but it doesn't seem to work.
How can I cache SQL lookups done by NSS?

`. `'`