Re: no volume display in XMMS

>> I'm just getting to know XMMS, and I like it a lot.  But I have one
>> problem:  the volume analyzer and all of the visualization windows all
>> show zero.  That is, I get no volume display.  I want a volume
>> display!
>
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Not enough information.
> Are you running the Alsa sound modules?
> If so, you may have to go into alsamixer and toggle 'm' after tabbing to
> volumn or output settings to unmute.
> If this doesn't fix things, post back specifying soundcard, sound
> modules, etc., and we may be in a better situation to be able to help.
> Regards,
>
> David.

Thanks.  There's so much detail in a problem like this that it's hard to get
it all.

Yes, I'm running alsa sound modules.  I'm using the integrated sound in the
Intel 865 chipset.  alsamixer identifies this as Card: Intel ICH5, Chipset:
Avance Logic ALC650 Rev 0.  The sound module is snd_intel8x0.

And in case I wasn't clear the first time:  I do get sound from XMMS.  It's
only the visual sound displays (all of them) that are blank.

/proc/asound/oss/devices tells me that synth devices and midi devices are "not
enabled in config".  Might this matter?  (I'm probably showing my ignorance
of how sound works.  Unlike most of what happens in Linux, I really don't
care how sound works; I just want it to work.  But I'll learn what I need
to.)

Sound-related parts of lsmod:

snd_seq_oss            33920  0
snd_seq_midi_event      7936  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                54160  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss            51236  1
snd_mixer_oss          18944  2 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0           31524  2
snd_ac97_codec         52484  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                96292  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
snd_timer              25092  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         11780  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         7808  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            24608  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8200  3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd                    49892  17
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9536  3 snd

Any ideas?

--
To reply by email, change "deadspam.com" to "alumni.utexas.net"