RE: fsck hangs my machine unpredictably

Hey guys.

Many thanks for all you responses.

My drive is DMA100 ide drive running on a promise fasttrak raid controller
on my motherboard. It's been quite happy up until recently when I upgraded a
bunch of packages. This seemed to start the ball rolling.

I think I'm gonna disable DMA,  add the noauto line to my fstab and see if I
can try to salvage some of my important data from the drive.

Then I'm gonna reinstall debian and try to get my apt pinning sorted out so
I only upgrade versions of things I need.

Any ideas if I add the noauto whether I'll be able to mount the corrupted
drive?

RobD