Re: fsck hangs my machine unpredictably

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> Daniel B. wrote:
> > The Linux kernel has had and still has a number bugs that can corrupt
> > the filesystem data on an IDE disk, especially when using DMA.
> > Daniel
>
> While DMA related corruption may be the problem in Rob's case, I believe
> most of the problems have been worked out.  I say this because I have an
> nForce2 mobo (one of the more problematic) running a Debianized 2.4.22
> kernel without any sort of data corruption problems.

Maybe many have been worked out, but problems still remain.

2.4.18 trashes my disk if I enable DMA.
2.4.22 just trashed my disk because it turns on DMA by default (before
my init scripts turned it off).
2.4.22 and 2.4.18 occasionally just hang permanently (not sure if
DMA-related or even IDE-releated).
2.4.18 gives 15- or 20-second hangs once in a while (seems IDE-related).

What IDE controller does your motherboard have?  (Mine is an Asus
A7M266-D (dual-Athlon MP), with an on-board AMD768 (for which DMA
apparently doesn't work reliably yet).)

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay