Re: Switching from RH 7.3 to Debian 3.0r1

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 at 22:40 GMT, Andreas Janssen penned:
> Hello
>
> Curtis (<Naota@tampabay.rr.com>) wrote:
>
>> I've downloaded the debian isos, burning them afterwards, but before
>> I take the plunge into switching, is there anything to prepare?  This
>> is my first time switching distros on a computer.  Any pitfalls to
>> avoid.  By the way, I wanted to do a netinstall, so I only have to
>> use the first cd.
>
> You should backup the configuration data of your current system. You
> will probably have to manually select some things that were
> automagically configured in Red Hat, like modules for your sound/net
> devices or the XFree configuration (especially the XFree driver and
> the frequencies of your monitors from the old configuration file will
> be helpfull when you setup XFree in Debian). Also, Debian will use an
> 2.2 kernel for installation by default. Maybe you want to use the 2.4
> installation kernel. Read the instructions when you boot from the CD,
> they will tell you how to select the installation kernel.
>
> best regards Andreas Janssen

I converted from RH to Debian several years ago.  All of the config
files from /etc/* worked fine, iirc, but they didn't always go in the
same place.  Some judicious use of the 'find' command should do wonders.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please