Re: Anyone using apt-listchanges?

I'm using it.

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 11:20:07AM -0700, moseley@hank.org wrote:
| I'd like to look at the change log of a package before installing it.
| I installed apt-listchanges, but it seems like I have to download the
| .deb first.  Is that true?

True.  The changelog is only available in the .deb file.  Naturally
you can't look at info you don't have, so you must download the .deb
before you can see the changes.  (ISTR some wishlist bugs filed
against packages.d.o to allow viewing of changelogs without
downloading the .debs but that hasn't been developed yet)

| I'm not clear how to use apt-listchanges.  Can it be integrated into
| apt-get?

Yes.  Install the package and see for yourself:
    --- /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20listchanges
    DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs { "/usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -ne 10"; };
    DPkg::Tools::Options::/usr/bin/apt-listchanges::Version "2";

After downloading the packages but before installing them, apt will
run apt-listchanges.  It will enumerate all the changes since the
version you have installed and feed it to $PAGER.  When $PAGER
terminates, apt-listchanges will ask whether or not you still want to
continue with the installation.  If you say "no" then it terminates
with an error code to tell apt not to proceed.

| I do know about http://people.debian.org/~noel/changelogs/

I didn't.  Hmm, if I write a suitable cgi script now, then aptitude
will be able to display the changelogs on-demand (without downloading
the .deb).

HTH,
-D

--
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/