Re: Gave it a try and will try again ....

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:12, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Die, 2003-10-07 at 15:19, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>

> > What I have found is even better is to boot Knoppix, and then use it to
> > do a chroot install.
>
> FWIW, I just want to add that Knoppix has a script to install it do HD
> directly

And *I* would also like to add:
Since Knoppix is Debian based, it comes with all the needed schtuff to
just install a system without even trying that hard either by chroot'd
install or by knx-hdinstall (the script).

BUT, I prefer the chroot, as I only get what I want. Smallest install
for me so far is a dedicated CUPS/SAMBA Printing consolidation server.
131 Packages and being fully functional. 330MB on a 466MHz Celery with
384MB Memory... it auto-upgrades trivial daily (running unstable as I
needed the version of CUPS filters and so on)... once a month or so I do
the hard stuff for it.

Needless to say, I did the chroot install remotely as well. From Home
after booting knoppix into init 2, then using the start-ssh script.
Smoked it all the way except for the reboot. Which I left a note for the
operators to reboot the machine IF the CD-ROM was hanging out. Which it
was...

The printing just worked after that. queues emptied and were routed
properly... just plain worked.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The microfine network of eyes traversing your shoulders causes me to
shudder in anticipation of the coming of the wondrous season of
jaundiced eskimos and impotent Anglican priests.