Gave it a try and will try again ....

Congratulations and Thanks You to everyone in here ! This is surely the
most responsive and helpful list I met so far.
Being a Linux user for the last 4 years (mainly RedHat) I was looking
for an alternative; and Debian is the first thing to come into mind.

I have now invested some three days, but time is running out. These days
have demonstrated that Debian has a great potential and a great package
management.
On the other hand, for a seasoned user after three days too many items
are unresolved: The original ATI Rage 128 never made it to start, the
Ensoniq 5880 problem remains unresolved, galeon doesn't use the proxy
settings; of course I could fiddle with XFConfig to get the
TrueTypeFonts recognised (all documented in this group).
For a very standard hardware these are too many. Especially, since
another distro doesn't find any problems with these.
I simply underestimated the amount of problems encountered for a very
standard 3.0r1 / bf24 out of the box on average hardware.

I surely will come back another time; with more time to spend ! Now I
have to go back to 'production' !

Thanks again,

Uwe

--
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy? Who knows! Who cares?