pam_mkhomedir

When I configure pam_mkhomedir in /etc/pam.d/ssh like so:

  session required pam_mkhomedir umask=0066 skel=/etc/skel

then it fails to do it's job. The log reports "unable to create
directory" and "Permission denied". I think this is because SSH uses
privilege separation, so the PAM stack is called after dropping
root. This is backed up by the fact that setting the permissions on
/home to 0777 allows a normal user to log in and have his/her
homedir be automatically created.

Is this a known problem? Is there anything one can do against this,
short of turning privilege separation off in SSH. Unless someone
shows me some counterproof, I still believe that privsep is a rather
useful addition to sshd.

Thanks,

`. `'`