Re: reiserfs vs ext3fs

Johan Van den Neste wrote:
On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 14:06, PF wrote:

   I found no faq or thread about comparing ReiserFS and Ext3FS for use on
laptops.

Can someone tell me her/his impressions? I'd like to install a Debian 3.1 on
a HP Omnibook and I wish using journaled fs principally to avoid fschk's...

Since it is a new install, I would give XFS a shot. I recently switched two of my three machines to XFS (from ext3) and am very happy so far.

I read somewhere (I can't find the reference anymore) that XFS actually fsck's (if necessary) at mount time, which is pretty nifty.

The Debian patch for XFS works with the Debian versions of kernel-source-2.4.21 and 2.4.22. It was a cinch to install.

I've been using reiserfs for quite a while now. (more than a year)
I've had some apm bios troubles that used to freeze my laptop
frequently. Reiserfs log replays at boot never take more than a second,
and I have yet to see anything go wrong.

Reiserfs is said to "greatly outperform ext3 on small files". All I can
say is I'm not unhappy about the performance.

And don't let people tell you it's unstable. (I think is considered
stable since kernel release 2.4.18, so you need at least that kernel)

I don't know much about ReiserFS, but I believe that XFS is much more mature (it has been the native FS of IRIX for a long time).

-Roberto