Xv video driver expires after xfree86 upgrade

Hi all,
Up to very recently, I could watch vcd movies on my box using xine video
player with Xv as the video driver. However, I came to discover yesterday
that Xv video driver had become inoperative after either upgrading xfree86
from version 4.1.0 to 4.2.1 using the deb package or installation of mplayer
0.9 from the source tarball.

I'm not pretty sure which of the two packages/applications is the culprit as I
installed both of them more or less on the same day but somehow I'm convinced
it must be xfree86 since mplayer too does not show any pictures (only a blue
window screen) with the Xv video driver. Have no dependancy issues though.

After trying all other available video drivers in xine, I finally settled on
XShm as the work around. So, I'm just wondering if somebody else has
experienced similar problems with Xv video driver and xserver-xfree86 4.2.0
or probably this may just happen to be a bug.

Regards,

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya