Re: frustration building, please help - latest - (was: does debian xfree support my video?)

skippi wrote:
Ok, I have decided that I am stupid. This is the only possible explination. Can someone explain what I am doing wrong using very small words and short sentances.

I am trying to install Xfree86 4.3 on my Woody system.

I go to http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ and download all the files in the directory.

You are wasting lots of time unnecessarily by doing this.

I take all the *.deb files and put them in /root/xfree4

I execute while in /root
dpkg-scanpackages debs /dev/null | gzip > xfree4/packages.gz
It returns Wrote 12 entries to output Packages file
which is odd it seems since there are 55 *.deb files.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.

I add deb file:/root xfree4/
to /etc/apt/sources.list

I execute apt-get update
it returns
Reading Package List... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

OK.  Now I got it.

I execute
apt-get upgrade
and....
Instead of upgrading Xfree, it tells me
The following packages have been kept back
  x-window-system-core xserver-common xserver-sfree86
0 packaes upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded

What am I doing wrong? As always, I am grateful for assistance.

Sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction earlier. I thought you had Sid, not Woody, which probably caused you lots of unnecessary grief,

Add this to your sources.list:

deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/$(ARCH)/ ./

Then:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

That should do it magically.

APT is a wonderful tool.  Take advantange of it.

The other alternative is to execute a

# dpkg -i *.deb

in the directory you downloaded all the files to. That is the most effective way to install a local .deb package.

-Roberto