RE: frustration building, please help - latest - (was: does debian xfree support my video?)

Ok, I have decided that I am stupid.  This is the only possible explination.
Can someone explain what I am doing wrong using very small words and short
sentances.

I am trying to install Xfree86 4.3 on my Woody system.

I go to http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ and download
all the files in the directory.

I take all the *.deb files and put them in /root/xfree4

I execute while in /root
dpkg-scanpackages debs /dev/null | gzip > xfree4/packages.gz
It returns
Wrote 12 entries to output Packages file
which is odd it seems since there are 55 *.deb files.

I add
deb file:/root xfree4/
to /etc/apt/sources.list

I execute
apt-get update
it returns
Reading Package List... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

I execute
apt-get upgrade
and....
Instead of upgrading Xfree, it tells me
The following packages have been kept back
  x-window-system-core xserver-common xserver-sfree86
0 packaes upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded

What am I doing wrong?
As always, I am grateful for assistance.

Adrian