Re: Looking for backup solutions - 40GB

hi ya dan

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Andreas Janssen wrote:

> Hello
>
> Dan Anderson (<dan@mathjunkies.com>) wrote:
>
> > I have a 40 GB hard disk I want to back up to CD.  I figure I could
> > run
> > dd but the man page was unintelligible.  Can anyone offer any
> > suggestions?

if you really wanted to use dd, onto another 40GB disks:
	dd if=/dev/hda  of=/dev/hdc  bs=1024

	- i highly discourage dd for copying disks/partitions

	- if you use different sized disks ... the target disk 100GB
	disk will look like a 40GB disks ...

to backup disks to cd ... you have to use cdwritting sw .. not dd
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/CDRW

if you want to backup 40GB of disk onto 650MB cdrom ... you'd need
about  100:1 compression  and if you're 40GB is already mpegs, and
other compressed files... it wont fit onto cdrom

	you might be able to squeeze 40GB onto a 4GB dvd backup media

a brand new 40GB disks is about $50 nowdays... ( thats 1hr of time
to sit down and figure things out or just buy a 2nd disk )

c ya
alvin