Re: raid1 and lilo second disk doesn't boot - testing

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 02:11:22PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
>
> > soemthing whacky if you have to manually add the disk back in
> > with mdadm ... it thinks its brand new virgin disk ?? vs just needing
> > to have it's new files sync'd to the  disk that just came online
>
> Somebody just told me that it is normal that you have to add it
> manually.
>
> Or isn't it ?

for my raid boxes.... resyncing is all automated ... earn'd my fees that
way

no manual recreation of the raid array ...
	- sometimes its a pain in the butt to get it working right
	so after using mdadm or other re-assemble the raid, one tends
	to leave it as is and merrrily proceed till the next failure

	- time vs $$$ vs frustration .. sometimes better to let it
	go ... make sure at least 2 independent redundant backups of the
	raid is working  and watch what happens

i assume that you have..
	- software raid1
	- "FD" as your partition type
	- lilo.conf or grub or other pointing to the /dev/mdxx devices
	for booting
	- raid is built into the kernel .. not a module
	- /etc/raidtab setup up right

	- which version of raidtools are you using ??

- test regularly and often and randomly from bare metal

c ya
alvin