Re: Postgres

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 01:17, Dan Roscoe wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems setting up phpbb2
> (http://phpbb2.com) with PostgreSQL on a woody box.
>
> I am consistently getting error messages along the lines of
>

> Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL 1: IDENT
> authentication failed for user "dan" in /var/www/boards/db/postgres7.php
> on line 79
> phpBB : Critical Error
>
> Could not connect to the database
> Postgres as well as all the web services required are.
>
> If anyone has any ideas at all, please let me know.  I am trying to
> migrate a small site from one box to another, and this is the only thing
> holding me back right now.

Your authentication failed, so the server refused you access.  You need
an identd server for ident authentication of TCP/IP access.

If you are using ident authentication for access from remote machines,
this is very insecure, since you are effectively trusting the remote
machine to tell the truth.  If PHP is doing a local connection, you
probably need to use md5 (password) authentication, so as to supply the
correct username.  Presumably PHP is running as a different user, and
ident authentication will give the wrong answer any way.

Authentication policies are defined in /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and
can be set according to access method, user and database.

     "Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that
      ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and
      having done all, to stand."          Ephesians 6:13