Re: Root path question

One possibility might be the fact that when you su, I believe .bashrc gets executed, and .bash_profile does not, as it isn't a login shell. Whereas when you login (or alternatively do: su -c "bash --login" ) .bash_profile gets run. So depending on the paths each of these set, your path could possibly vary in a login / non-login shell.

Naitik.