Re: Do we really need to worry about viruses

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

<snip>

> I think that a lot of users tend to switch to using root because they
> cannot achieve simple tasks with their "normal" user. For instance
> writing cd's. It would help if there is a doc that explains how users
> can best set up their system to achieve this. For example, hinting to
> the use of sudo and so on. This would help IMO but i haven't found a
> doc that explains these issues and suggest sollutions for the most
> common tasks where users are confronted with permission problems.
>
> Such a doc should really be available alongside the other debian docs
> on the site. Now everybody who runs into these kinds of problems
> tries to solve it their own way which aren't necessary the best:
> running as root, using SUID and so on.
>
> Regards
> Benedict
 If when a user account is created, at least in my debian experience, it
is not given the required group membership, you can only use the cdrom as
root. So, the user needs to be added to the cdrom group. I guess I never
checked, but does the k3b .deb contain any info in its faq's about this
common issue? Is the use of the group cdrom for cdrom access and the use
of the audio group for sound a (current) standard in debian (or other
unixes)?
-Kev