PAM Error: couldn't get the tty name

Hi,
I am trying to get PAM to work with a pop server (ipopd-ssl) in order to
limit the people who who use this particular server, but I get the error
"couldn't get the tty name".
I think it has something to do with the PAM_TTY env variable not being set
properly by the ipopd, but does anyone know a way around this?  Quite
frankly, I don't care what tty anyone connects from.  I have tried to use
the pam_env.so to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Andrew