Re: /etc/group changes don't take effect immediately

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 05:21:47PM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:

> How does one explain this?
> Is the file /etc/group cached somewhere and updated
> only so often?

at login and at "set user id" and at "set group id" time.

> How can the changes be forced to take effect immediately
> without exiting and logging in again?

you can force it with the sg command:

charlie@marvin:~$ groups
charlie bin disk cdrom floppy audio irc src video staff games
charlie@marvin:~$

marvin:/home/charlie# adduser charlie news
Adding user charlie to group news...
Done.
marvin:/home/charlie#

charlie@marvin:~$ sg news
charlie@marvin:~$ groups
news charlie bin disk cdrom floppy audio irc src video staff games
charlie@marvin:~$
charlie@marvin:~$ id
uid=1000(charlie) gid=9(news) groups=1000(charlie),2(bin),6(disk),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),39(irc),40(src),44(video),50(staff),60(games),9(news)
charlie@marvin:~$

as you see my user wasn't part of the 'news' group, on another shell
i added it as root, and again in my original shell (without logout) with
sg I could force the information-update.

charlie

ps: up to now I did not know the sg command, just began to read couple
of manpages, like those of group,login,passwd,bash ... so read the fine
manual, please.

--
Végh Károly -  System Engineer - UTA - TIS.SAS.BSS
Don't worry. Everything is getting nicely out of control.