Re: establishing ppp connection as non-root [solved]

On Thursday 02 October 2003 12:36, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> Hi all,
> I configured ppp successfully using pppconfig and make use of pon/poff
> commands to bring up and bring down the link respectively. However, pon
> only works when ran as root and refuses otherwise.
>
> user@fep:~$ pon
>
> please configure /etc/ppp/peers/provider or use a command line argument to
> use another file in /etc/ppp/peers directory.

This indicates that files in /etc/ppp/peers directory are unaccessible

> Is it possible to run pon as non root? Tried changing some parameters in
> /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/peers/provider with little or no success.

Yes. In fact, one need not to change anything in /etc/ppp/peers directory

> Anyway, if it is possible then how does one go about it?

As root, include the user id to run the command pon in group 'dip'. If it so
happens that that uid is already logged on, then exit the shell and login
again before running pon (so as for /etc/group changes to take effect). That
is all. /etc/pppusers and /etc/dialout files weren't necessary.

--

Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya