cannot find libncurses

Hello
I don't know if this has been asked before, as I searched the list and
found nothing close to this problem but I'm hoping this is the right
forum to ask.

Problem:

I'm trying to upgrade my Kernel from 4.2.20 to 4.2.22.  I am doing this
the long way not through Dpkg or apt-get.
When I type 'make menuconfig' I get the following:
--------------------------------
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must have Ncurses installed in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
----------------------------

When I do 'dpkg -l libncurses5' I get:
pi  libncurses5     5.3.20030719-1  Shared libraries for terminal
handling

Does this mean that it is installed but has a problem?

If I try to remove using apt-get it wants to remove 248 packages!

Is there a way to solve this like adding a line in some file to point to
the libraries?

Also with the command 'dpkg -S libncurses5' the following is returned:

libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5
libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5/copyright
libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5/README.Debian
libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5/changelog.gz
libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5/changelog.Debian.gz
libncurses5: /usr/share/doc/libncurses5/FAQ

I did upgrade to 4.2.20 from 4.2.18 successfully but that was before I
installed KDE3.  Now that I installed KDE3 this is coming up.

Any help or instructions to just go away would be really appreciated.

Reaz