Re: Getting Radio/TV on Debian.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:20:15PM +0800, Russ Pitman wrote:
> Russ Pitman wrote:
> > Stephan Balmer wrote:

> > > Same as mine.
> >
> > Since tried cardlist numbers 37,70 and 72. They all worked inasmuch that
> > radio works but won't write out the ~/.radio file, TV no picture just noise.

> > > AFAIK you need to patch 2.4.22 because the I2C character device changed.
> > > Read about it here:
> > > http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/devel/i2c/
> > >
> > Ok
> > > I still had no success with kernel 2.4.22, the Patch for the bttv didn't
> > > work for my kernel-source-2.4.22-10.
> > >
> > > With the kernel-image-2.6.0-test4 the bttv module loaded without error.
> > > Since X is giving me a hard time I didn't test yet if the card works..
> > >
> > > Would be interestet how you did it, if you can get it running on a 2.4.22 kernel.
> > >
> > > bye
> > > Stephan Balmer
> > Given the above I won't bother patching,just try the 2.6.0-test4 kernel.
> >
> > If I get anything to fly I will let you know. Hope you get your X problems
> > sorted.
> >
> I can appreciate your comment re X and 2.6 Kernels. My results are a
> disaster.Listed below.
>
> As far as the bttv module is concerned using modconf in kernel versions
> 2.4.19 to 2.4.22 inclusive gave the same results,insmod reports failure
> even tho the module is found by lsmod and appears to be partially working.
>
> As radio works and tv only generates noise with various indoor and outdoor
> antenna setup on both linux and win98 with updated drivers I have lost
> faith in the card,although it did work a couple of years ago for the
> original owner in windows.
I finally got X running, and yeah, I can get some noise off the card...
When I change to the "Composite 3" interface with xawtv, the system freezes.
I remember having the same problem with the card under win98.

The card is crap, I knew that when I bought it. (Couldn't miss the price though.)

> With the 2.6.Kernels, I installed both test2 and test4 images from the
> archives.
> Both failed to find the network or the mouse on bootup and starting gpm
> and networking from the command line failed. I could get the network up
> by reinstalling it but never succeeded with the mouse.
You have to load the modules for the mouse, try
 modprobe psmouse
or
 modprobe hid
for USB-mice.

> Midnight Commander was fine on tty1 and couldnt produce proper line
> characters on any other tty. Wierd.
Wierd indeed...

> Modconf doesn't find any modules to insert.
Modconf doesn't work with 2.6 kernels yet(?). :(

> Xconfig is now Qt based and I couldn't find any of the help files normally
> available in the old display.
As for configuring X, I do it with
 dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
but YMMV...

> I built four kernels from test2 source. They behaved simiarly.

> After 2/3days the original problem seem to have fallen off the radar :-))
> Maybe just return the card with thanks and start afresh.
Yep, I removed the card and will try again with kernel 2.6.10 :)