Re: Redhat user wishing to try Debian - confused.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:18:13 +0200, Martin Jungowski <jungowsk@in.tum.de> penned:
> Hi,
>
> I would DEFINITELY not suggest to use unstable if you're a Debian or
> even worse, Linux newbie. It may work 95% of the time but it may also be
> either unstable or not work at all after an update. That's why it's
> called sid, still in development.
>
> I've been using sid for about a year now and during that time, I had big
> big trouble thrice - every time I had to either wait till the bugs are
> fixed or try to fix them myself.
> Either way, major headache and lots of consumed coffee and cigarettes
> are the results.
>
> I would suggest Debian stable (aka Woody) and the Backports of XFree
> 4.2, KDE3.1.4 or GNome2 and the other software.
>
> Martin

I'm curious -- what packages have you had trouble with?

The only real issue I've ever run into on unstable (real issue being
defined as, something that wasn't fixed by simply waiting to update a
few days after seeing what seemed like the wrong thing happening in
dselect) was not being able to bring up xwindows.  That one was fixed in
about a day, and yes, I was able to fix it by hand in the meantime.

Okay, and a few days ago, python2.3 had a bug in it, but I was able to
work around it and a new package was available in 3-4 days.

--
monique