Re: pam and other authentication methods

Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> writes:

> I think another possible way would be through the C library. I believe
> that the C library has certain authentication functions (I think for
> passwd file and NIS). I think that you could modify these functions to
> provide whichever method you want.

That's really limited: there are libc functions to say "get me an
entry ostensibly out of /etc/passwd" (getpwnam(3), et al.), and
/etc/nsswitch.conf can be used to tell libc to get the entry from
somewhere else (Hesiod, NIS, etc.)  This is kind of okay if your
passwd entries contain crypted passwords (in an NIS world, they
typically do), if you feel okay about letting crypted passwords fly
across the network, and if it's okay to have users repeatedly typing
passwords.

	-- Abra Mitchell