Re: HyperThreading CPUs under Debian

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 14:29, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 07:59, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 13:19, Greg Norris wrote:
> > > On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:09:18PM +0100, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> [snip]
> > Sounds easy enough! Might explain why my BIOS logo doesn't sport the
> > "HT" after a reboot of Linux, but does after a reboot of Win XP (which
> > recognises 2 CPUs).
>
> The BIOS is pre-OS, so that logo must be displayed by Windows.

That would make sense, but this logo is the BIOS full screen logo for
the mobo. It's a picture of an outline of a person's head, with ASUS
P4P800 Deluxe (the mobo) written beneath, and an Intel P4 logo in the
bottom right hand corner.

What I have discovered is that if the last reboot was from XP, I get the
P4 with the "HT" logo, if Linux (or Win98) were the last booted, I get
the same screen, with just a normal P4 logo (without the HT). This is
all from the BIOS, before even the IDE is detected so it can't be
windows interfering. I dont know how it works out what to display, but
it's curious. I wonder if the BIOS maybe stores something in CMOS to say
whether HT was used in the last session? Just a guess.

Andy