Re: Any users of mondoarchive on debian boxes?

* Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) [030928 16:00]:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:27:27AM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> > At a BALUG meeting last spring I heard a talk by mondo's inceptor, Hugo
> > Rabson, who took some special time to trash Debian. His beef is with
> > Debian's initrd-enabled kernels which mondo either doesn't handle at all
> > or doesn't handle well.
>
> "I can't write software to cope with this feature of the Linux kernel
> and therefore this distro that uses it is crap"? Please tell me it
> ain't so...

no, it wasn't as simple as that.  Hugo was trying to write portable
software, which is always a frustrating challenge.  He did offer to
enumerate a list of reasons why he didn't like Debian.  I don't remember
exactly what he said, but I remember thinking his reasons were valid at
the time.  It's just his opinion after all, which, by accounts on the
current version of the site, has since favorably changed.  Even then,
Hugo didn't want to exclude Debian; he had just had difficulty working
with it, and was fortunate to have Hector take care of the Debian stuff
for him.

good times,
Vineet
--