Re: How Do You Know If It Works In Linux?

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, alex wrote:

> Not exactly a Debian only topic but where else is the degree of
> experience and expertise available besides this Debian list?
>
> Suppose someone wants to put together or buy a computer ---something
> that is fully compatible with Linux.....no makedo patches such as
> for winmodems or other components,  etc---how can you make sure
> you're getting what you want?
>
> What are the indicators that will tell us whether the components are
> fully Linux compatible, whether they are part of a ready to run
> Windows computer, a systemless computer, a bare bones box, or one
> that you build from scratch?
>
> Is there something that prevents manufacturers from clearly stating
> that a product is fully suitable for Linux?  It's done for MS
> Windows.  Is this some kind of legal or technical issue, or is it
> some kind of 'business arrangement'?
>
> Wouldn't it be nice if there was a notice or disclaimer that clearly
> stated, "100% suitable for Linux"   or "Not suitable for Linux"
>
> With the universal recognition and use of Linux as an operating
> system, it seems strange that you don't see components or a whole
> computer clearly identified as fully suitable for Linux even though
> it may have MS Windows installed.
>
> alex

If you are building it yourself, you should get a list of the parts and
get the chipset it uses and google till you find what modules supports it.

Other than that check for the few vendors that specfically sell linux
certified hardware and email/call to ask about their claims. I got a
catalog in the mail from microwarehouse (in the us) that said that they
have some models they claimed were linux ready.
-Kev