Re: Fonts in gvim

> > gvim only offers up a seemingly small subset of fonts on my system
> > (compared to what Mozilla shows, for example).
>
> *Which* gvim?  A GTK1 gvim is going to use any XLFD font you care to
> name... a GTK2 gvim is only going to use ones served by fontconfig
> (Xft2).
>
> > I'd like to use the font that my xterm uses, but I'm not sure what
> > it's using.  I'm not setting the xterm font in .Xdefaults
>
> Unless you tell it otherwise, xterm is more than likely using the
> 'fixed' font alias.  Check its app-defaults file to be sure.
>
> If you're running xterm using anti-aliased fonts, then it could be using
> anything available to Xft1, which is pretty much, again, any XLFD.
>
> You've got standard X fonts, you've got Xft1-rendered fonts, and you've
> got Xft2-rendered fonts.

[Please CC me on replies; I can't always keep up with -user.]

Let's assume here he's talking about the latest GTK2 vim-gtk package in
unstable.

For years (with Debian's standard vim-gtk package and with my own GTK
builds of Vim under Solaris and AIX), I've been using:

  :set guifont=-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-C-60-ISO8859-1

to get (as far as I can tell) the same small "6x13" font I get when I
pop an xterm with:

   -fn "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-100-*-*-c-*-iso8859-8"

As of my latest 'apt-get update' tonite, though, this no longer works,
presumably because that standard xterm font is not an "Xft2-rendered"
font.

I personally don't care about fancy antialised fonts in my text editor.
I just want my "6x13" font back, and I don't want to have to build my
own version of vim just to get it.

Any suggestions on how to get that xterm font to show up in the GTK2
version of Vim that's in unstable?

Thanks,

KEN

--