Re: Allowing any user to shutdown from gnome (gdmconfig show system menu)

Jerome BENOIT wrote:

Ben Edwards wrote:

Is there a way of allowing any user to shutdown.  Idealy from the
taskbar (but I guess in this case it's simply a case of writing a short
script and calling it from the taksbar.

Ben

Have a look to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

Also accessable as su -c "/usr/sbin/gdmconfig"

If you check "show system menu" which is on the security tab of gdmconfig in unstable. I don't know what version you are running. Also you can have it require a password using the standard greeter with secure system menu checked. Once this is set people can shut down after logging out.

This reminds me, I got one response about the graphical greeter & secure system menu on unstable so I'm still not sure if it is a config issue or a bug.

Does the "standard" but not the "graphical" greeter prompt for the root password for anyone else when secure system menu is selected? I believe both should, but the "graphical" does not on my system.

Jacob