Re: Any users of mondoarchive on debian boxes?

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:02:00AM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:

> At a BALUG meeting last spring I heard a talk by mondo's inceptor, Hugo
> Rabson, who took some special time to trash Debian. His beef is with
> Debian's initrd-enabled kernels which mondo either doesn't handle at all
> or doesn't handle well. If you have problems, I'd try building &
> installing a kernel with initrd disabled and see if it helps.

I wanted to go to that meeting (but was out of town) and ask about
Debian support.  I wanted to ask what the specific issues were.  I had
problems with Mondo and on the list there were comments that Debian was
the problem, even though I had built my kernel from kernel.org source.

Plus, http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/docs/1.6x-howto/kernelsupport.html
says:

Your kernel must have:

    *  initrd ramdisk support (built-in)

So it's confusing.

I also asked (also with conflicting suggestions from the Mondo list)
what exactly was "Virtual memory file system support (built-in)".  I was
told[1] That I needed cramfs, but the docs say that I don't want cramfs.

I wish that page listed the actual kernel parameter required.

> See the Mondo website, http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo
> They have an active mailing list. Not only do they claim to support
> Debian 3.0, I just checked out their website and found that the text
> that used to say something like "Why I hate Debian" has been replaced
> with a blurb that starts out "I used to badmouth Debian's distro ...
> However, recent releases are much improved ..." Thanks, Hugo, that
> really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

;)

So have you given it a try lately, Paul?

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2573399&forum_id=5086

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org