Re: fetching older packages?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:29:10 +0100, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> penned:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 03:23:56AM +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> Anyway, this brings up the question, how do I revert to an older version
>> of a package?  A friend pointed out that I can just dpkg -i
>> whatever.deb, where whatever is the older version, but I still have
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) Where do I find this older version? In this case it should be the
>> version that was available on unstable right up until a few hours ago.
>
> http://snapshot.debian.net/ will have it.

Ahah!  Thank you very much.

Is there a way for me to get a listing of all past versions of a
package?  For example, I knew that I wanted "whatever python2.3 was
before 2.3.1-1", which turned out to be 2.3-4 -- and I found that out by
browsing through the pool directories.  Is there an easier way?

>> 2) What does debian do about the dependencies?  In most cases, will
>> having newer libraries be okay, or do I need to replace just about
>> everything?
>
> With the odd exception, newer libraries will usually be OK.

Cool.  Looks like python2.3-tk was the only package that griped, and
that was easy enough to fix.

>> 3) The python 2.3.1-1 package depends on the python 2.3 package depends
>> on the python package.  How am I to understand these dependencies?
>> Could I just remove the 2.3.1-1 package and still somehow have python
>> running?
>
> I don't get what you mean here. Could you explain in more detail?

Umm, let's just skip it.  I think I read the dependencies wrong.

>> 4) If I do revert, how do I tell dselect (or apt-get or whatever) not to
>> upgrade, and how do I know when the newer version is available?
>
> Press '=' on the package in dselect, or 'echo PACKAGE-NAME hold | dpkg
> --set-selections'. dselect will show you the held package among the
> packages with newer versions available, and you can unhold ('+' in
> dselect) when you think the available version fixes the bug.

Okay, I've used the = method, but the echoing thing is a great tip!

Is there a way to mark things on "hold" via the apt tools?  It seems
like apt-get respected dselect "hold" last time I used it ... or was I
mistaken?

Also, what's the best way to find out that a newer version is available?
Looks like that's what the "subscription-package tracking system" form at
http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python2.3.html does?

Thank you very much for all your help!

--
monique