backup to dvd of apple files

Hello,

I have recently inherited a (voluntary) sysadminjob.

We have a fileserver where Macs and Windows clients can connect to.

On the fileserver I use netatalk and samba.

I have about 10 gig of data on it and I want to dump that data to a
DVD.  I have found someone who has a DVD burner so I only have to make
a couple of images.

The problem is I do not know how to handle the files from the Mac.
They do not have an extension.

When the DVD is burned the files made on apple machines must be again
readable on a apple machine.  The files made on a Windows computer
must be readable on a Windows machine.

I tried to make an image of a couple of directories with mkisofs -r -J
but it shortened a lot of filenames.  Many, but many file names are
very long and have much of spaces.

So my question is: what is the best way to make my image so I do not
loose the long filenames and the DVD is readable in the Macs and
Windows computers.

Thanks in advance,
--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@zeus.UGent.be