Re: sa-learn and spamassassin's markup

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:28:32AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> Does sa-learn recognize and ignore spamassassin's markup?  I just
> recently upgraded spamassassin to 2.55-4 on this box, and I've been
> feeding some messages into it, but so far I've been going through the
> semi-tedious process of piping through spamassassin -d and then into
> sa-learn.  Am I wasting time?  The spamassassin manpage says that -r
> strips spamassassin's markup before reporting, but the sa-learn manpage
> doesn't say that it does.  Anybody know?

sa-learn removes it automatically, yes. I went through the same tedious
process with 2.55 and then read the source to find out that it was
unnecessary.

The man page in 2.60, at least, documents this:

       If the messages you are learning from have already been
       filtered through SpamAssassin, the learner will compensate
       for this.  In effect, it learns what each message would
       look like if you had run "spamassassin -d" over it in
       advance.

This is also faster than doing it yourself, because you don't have to
load the pile of Perl that is spamassassin for every message.

Cheers,