nvidia and kernel

Hello, I am trying to get my acer 630 laptop work with linux. Linux goes well exept I have
troble with screencard. I am trying to compile kernel with the nvidia module in.
In /etc/src/kernel-source 2.5.something  then I put the nvidia module like this

/etc/src/modules/nvidia/debian nv

both debian and nv folders are in the nvidia

I had compiled a 2.4.18 kernel like that and the nvidia kernel got in exept then I lost
sound and ethernet.  So im trying again.

So what am I doing wrong?

I do make-kpkg kernel_image and it goes fine and dpkg -i kernel-image.....
The modules also come in pleace by this but not the nvidia module

Thanks
Ingirafn