Potential IPSec/VPN problem?

I have a little problem in chewing through that whole IPSec/VPN stuff. I have
a NAT machine and a small home network on the inside, sharing a common
internet connection. Now, one of the machines will need to run a VPN client
to access a remote network, so the configuration is something like

client ---(LAN)--- NAT box ---(internet)--- SGateway

Are there any potential problems coming up? Any special configuration to be
done? Can this be done without direct port forwarding? Examples are very
welcome ;-)

The freeswan documentation offers little advice beyond "NAT is bad or maybe it
isn't" and no sample configuration really fits my situation as I see it.
Googling brought up a load of unanswered maillist messages on that topic. A
tech magazine basically said "no worries". It's all very confusing and a fair
bit frustrating.

--
Got Backup?