Re: how to | to /dev/null?

* Levi Waldron (lw@cedar.forestry.utoronto.ca) [030925 14:26]:
> Easy question, I'm sure:
>
> How can I use a pipe to send something to /dev/null?
>
> Reason:  kmail gives a "pipe through" filter option, ie send the message to "|
> somecommand".  It doesn't have a ">" option.  It's time to start sending the
> 400 some odd #!$@ swen messages/day I'm getting straight to /dev/null, I
> don't even want to see them in my SPAM folder anymore.

Instead of filtering them through a pipe, how about saving them to a
mailbox (/dev/null)?  Or how about just deleting them straightaway?
I've never used kmail, but I imagine that if it supports a pipe filter,
it must have these features as well.

Otherwise, if there's really no way around it, try piping it to "cat >
/dev/null".  If it doesn't like that, try something like this:

cat <<EOF > ~/bin/sink
#!/bin/sh
cat > /dev/null
EOF