Re: how to | to /dev/null?

Levi Waldron [lw@cedar.forestry.utoronto.ca] wrote:
> Easy question, I'm sure:
>
> How can I use a pipe to send something to /dev/null?
>
> Reason:  kmail gives a "pipe through" filter option, ie send the message to "|
> somecommand".  It doesn't have a ">" option.  It's time to start sending the
> 400 some odd #!$@ swen messages/day I'm getting straight to /dev/null, I
> don't even want to see them in my SPAM folder anymore.

Just pipe to any command which ignores its input such as /bin/false.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to
    be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge
    gives. A popular government without popular information or the means
    of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or
    perhaps both."
        - James Madison