Lapack libraries

The quickest way to build a library of all the Fortran
codes available in LAPACK appeared to be just by
apt-get-ing lapack and blas/atlas. I was kinda
expecting this in install Fortran libraries with names
like liblapack.a that I could just link to at compile
time, but I don't, only lapack.so and lapack.so.2
(maybe they have a 'lib' in front, I forget!) These
are what, C libraries?! How do I link to them at
compilation time with g77, or how do I use them to
create liblapack.a?
Many thanks....