Re: woody kernel upgrade woes

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:34:01PM -0700, Ben Blout wrote:
> I am struggling with a kernel upgrade with a woody box, installed from
> 3.0r0 CD.  I installed with a 2.2.20 kernel, not sure what flavor.  This
> being the first time I did anything kernel related, I did what I thought
> was the simplest thing, and chose the 2.2.20 image from
> security.debian.org, using dselect.
>
> After the upgrade, the box would not boot, hanging after the LILO
> screen (Loading..........).  I inserted cd #1, and at the boot: prompt
> rescue did not work, but rescvanl did.
>
> Installing the latest 2.4.18 kernel image had the same result.  It has
> been suggested to me (but I am not sure) that the problem is the images
> don't have support for my adaptec SCSI card.  It is a 2940, and I
> believe it needs the aic7xxx module, per googling a bit.  I see that
> module on my machine at /lib/modules/2.4.18-1-686/kernel/drivers/scsi
> with a date of last night, at about the time I did the install.
>
> I am very close to being over my head, so "small words" would be great.

You are correct - aic7xxx.o is the module you need for Adaptec 2940
support. But you don't want it as a module - you want it built into
the kernel if you're going to boot off it. In the kernel's config file
(/boot/config-`uname -r`) you will find CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y if it's
built into the kernel; if it's only a module the y becomes an m.

The alternative is to build it as a module and use an initrd. I must
say I thought the prepackaged kernels did this as standard (I don't
know, I've always compiled my own). Perhaps the initrd is installed
(in /initrd) but lilo hasn't been configured to use it?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons