Re: fetchmail and mailfilter

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:53:07PM -0400, Antonio Rodr wrote:
> > Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I also think there is a script to set it up automatically called
> > > fetchmailconf. I've never used it so I can't say whther it's any
> > > good or not.
>
> Hi Bijan,
> You posted a while ago a solution for spam using telnet. There you
> used several commands such as DELE, LIST, etc.
These are POP commands. Telnet simply lets you talk to any server that
can deal with plain text. For example if you know the commands for http
or imap you can access those servers through telnet as well.

> I looked in the man pages for telnet and I didn't find anything about
> that.  Can you point me in the right direction?  Thankyou.
A principal source for information about internet standards are the so
called RFC (Request For Comment) documents. They are detailed
specifications of individual standards. For example the RFC for POP3 is:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1939.html

If you find the RFC too technical you can search for "pop commands
telnet" on google and you should find some more practical information. I
myself like the RFCs and in the case of POP3 the RFC is not too
complicated (the one for IMAP is much more complicated).

Hope that helps,
Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>