Re: Why such volume with W32/Swen@MM?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:33:56PM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:54:08PM -0600, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >
> > I've heard that using html encoding for the @ symbol on webpages will
> > reduce harvesting ... it still shows up properly in mail clients when
> > the user clicks on the mailto.
> >
> > Anyone know if the above is true or wishful thinking?
>
> I have a mailto using a little Javascript that I got here:
>   http://innerpeace.org/escrambler.shtml
> which works beautifully, though only for people who have JavaScript
> enabled on their browser.

Hm.  On looking at my reply, I've just noticed that the question I
answered was not the question you asked.  Oops.

I haven't tried using the html escape-code for the @ symbol...
I imagine it'll fool the crawlers, until someone writes a crawler that
looks for it (being a one-to-one substitution, it would be very easy to
detect and defeat)...

And whether it resolves properly when a user clicks on the mailto
button I really don't know.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the
results varied depending on what browser/MUA combo people are using.

Mmm, sleep, good.  Evidently I need some.
--