Re: Large File Copy

Daniel L. Miller said on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:27:20PM -0700:
> I have a large hard drive with a single NTFS partion.  I have installed
> this drive in a Woody box and mounted the partition.

From this sentence, I believe that you are mounting an NTFS partition on your
Linux box, and are trying to get your data off of it that way.

This probably won't work; the NTFS driver in kernel 2.4 is experimental, and
for a reason; it really isn't stable.

> I am now trying to copy all the junk from that Samba mounted NTFS drive
> to my new ReiserFS drive.  For reasonable size files it works just fine.
>  But I have quite a few files that are well over 300k - and copy
> commands keep crashing.

Yep; I bet the filesystem driver is returning an error to your cp command.

The only way I know of to reliably get data off of an NTFS partition for a home
user is to share that partition using Windows NT/2k/XP, and then use smbclient.
smbclient has a tar option that might be handy.

> So, please, SOME IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!  Why can't vsftpd access
> my NTFS directory - and why do my file copies keep bombing - and how can
> I achieve my main goal - which is to get these files off the old drive!

Hope this helps,