Re: 2 networks

Quoting Christoph Simon <ciccio@kiosknet.com.br>:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:13:06 +0200
> Francois Bottin <fbottin@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Personnaly, I use netenv but I'm planing to change it soon (I don't want
> > to have to choose the config during the booting phase). A quick
> > apt-cache search returned the following packages:
>
> Did you check out the mapping facilities of /etc/network/interfaces?
> There is some almost cut-and-paste code in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples
> for just this situation.

Wow! That's great! I must have lived in a cave during the last few releases of
ifupdown :-/ That's the drawback of this OS when you don't have to reinstall
everything when a new release is out.

I found the last example quite interesting (pinging several machines to find out
where we are) but it's unusable in my case: 2 of the networks I frequently
attach to use the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) with dhcp and I use different
configurations on them. Hence I think the "arp approach" of the other tools is
preferable in this case. A solution would be to change the scripts to use arp.

But then I would face another problem: the new laptop that my company just gave
me has an integrated 100baseTX interface (mine uses a pcmcia card) and I also
have a pcmcia wifi card... I fear this will be difficult to configure this (one
with auto and the other without). In the description of laptop-net it is said:
    The package can automatically: [...] disable the network interface when the
    network cable is removed, and enable it when the cable is inserted; [...]
I did not try this package, but I think that according to this description, it
is perhaps best suited in complicated situations. Any experience there?

    François.

PS: is there a tool to send arp requests? arp(8) is only able to list the kernel
table. I know that if I just ping the machine before I will have the wanted
entry in the arp table, but is there a way to have the same result without the
"ping overhead"?

--
Francois BOTTIN