Re: Getting rid of worms and viruses

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:09, Martin Jungowski wrote:
> > Can you go to someone else who will let you use SMTP to get mail? (Like
> > Demon Internet in the UK.)
>
> Uh... I think you got that wrong. Isn't SMTP just for delivering/sending
> mail? Receiving mail is either POP3 or IMAP but as far as I know, not
> SMTP.

No.  SMTP is the way that mail gets to your ISP, who then put it into a
mailbox which you access with POP or IMAP.  If you can use SMTP, you
bypass the ISP.

If you have a permanently connected machine (as I do with an ADSL link),
the DNS MX record should point to that machine, with a backup (lower
priority) MX pointing somewhere else, such as your ISP.  Then machines
that want to send you mail connect to you directly.

If you have a dialup connection it is more difficult.  Most dialup
providers only offer POP or IMAP, but Demon Internet, in addition to the
standard POP and IMAP, also sends mail to you by SMTP when you are
connected.

     "And we know that all things work together for good to
      them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose."
                                   Romans 8:28