Re: Anti-Spam ideas for usenet/list harvested email addresses

Jeronimo Pellegrini said:
[snip]
>> > Make the list server PGP-sign the messages, maybe? You install the
>> list
>> > server key once, and never worry about it again?
>>
>> If some small PGP/GPG data could be sent as part of a new EHLO syntax
>> command then OK, otherwise I'm in the DATA section again. It would have
>> be a standard before I'd use that.
>
> You want to reject the mail before it's queued. I like the idea, but
> that's
> more difficult to implement...
>
> I wonder how many MTAs would let you do this:
>
> - set up a mail for lists only
> - set up terribly-aggressive blocking with DNSBLs and other things (like
>   requiring the reverse DNS), *only for that address*. Other addresses
>   would not go through such restrictive tests.

I hope postfix does. I'm pretty sure it will, since it supports external
mapping programs. I don't know how complicated it will be, but I'm hoping
it's like this:

RECPT TO: user
User has entries in ~/.safe-list-only?
Does the data from MAIL FROM or HELO match an entry in the list?
Does the reverse DNS and forward DNS for the HELO match the list?
250 OK
else
550 Error message.

>> The latest churn on debian-user about Spam hasn't been UCE spam. It's
>> been
>> worm spam. I don't know anyone personally who likes to recieve
>> WORM/Virus
>> code in their inbox but it persists. I don't see a near-term solution
>> for
>> convincing the individuals who write this code.
>
> Right, I forgot about that.
>
> Anyway... Blocking servers wouldn't help in the case of viruses, I think.
> Ordinary people get viruses, and the mail is sent through their (probably
> correctly configured) smarthost. Maybe something like Postfix
> header_checks? But that would also require some work :-(

My normal email address that was in my windoze using friend's outlook
express address book would still be vulnerable to email from the virus
running on his computer.

My list-only email address would be sitting pretty costing the mail server
very little by rejecting all email including ones generated by a friend or
some other mailing list subscriber. The only virus mail it should get is
the stuff that makes it through the mailing list server, and Debian's
servers do a very good job at filtering this. Since this address is the
one spread across usenet and many subscriber's address books, I think it
is the more important one to be restrictive with.

--
Jacob
Trying out SquirrelMail