Re: Booting minimal debian off of IBM Microdrive

> Hi,
>
> Trying to get a minimal install of debian to boot here.
> The installation goes fine, partitioning and so on goes fine.
> However, trying to boot yields some problems.
>
> My setup is a ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard, 512MB ram and a CF2IDE adapter.
> (CF and IDE is pin compatible, so no drivers are required) When tryint to
> boot directly off of the Microdrive, it halts. It's like it doesn't get
> detected, yet the bios detects the card correctly. All I get is "insert
> correct medium and press any key" so something goes very wrong. Am I
> missing something here?
>
> I can boot fine if I boot off of CDROM and set root=/dev/hda which is the
> Microdrive. So why doesn't it work to boot directly from the CF drive, and
> more importantly, how can I search for errors?

I was hoping someone might have a pointer or something?
What causes the boot process to not find the boot sectors given, since that
apparently is the only part it has problems with - I can boot off of
another device and then use the Microdrive as root, so it works perfectly
OK.

Any ideas?

//Andreas

--
CES 1984 - "The Lorraine's graphics are a whole step ahead of any personal
computer now on the market. This computer is potentially powerful enough to