Re: spam filtering

Gerard Ceraso wrote:

I am currently using procmail and spamassassin and I heard that razor is better. Any opinions?

----

Gerard

http://devslash.org

Razor can be used in procmail recipes (which I do) or in SpamAssassin. If you like what you've read about razor, you can use it in either/both procmail and SpamAssasin.

Razor recipe from my ~/.procmailrc:
:0 Wc
| razor-check
:0 Wa
{
 :0 Wf
 | formail -A "X-Razor2-Warning: SPAM."

 :0 W
 /home/jacob/IMAP/SPAM
}

This sticks all mail Razor says is spam into my SPAM IMAP folder. You could stick it in /dev/null if you wanted.

I've noticed a couple things about Razor vs Cloudmark's SpamNet. First Spamnet has the advantage of letting the email age in your inbox before scanning, so there is time for others to report it as spam. Second the version of Razor I'm using on that machine will mark the whole email as spam if it contains a MIME entity that has been called spam (think OE backgrounds or free email footers.) That's why I don't just toss the Razor spam.

I'm sure someone else will point out that SpamAssassin would just change the spam score based on Razor's results if I don't mention it. Also I could have just added the "X-Razor2-Warning: SPAM" header via "formail -A" and let the email go to my INBOX anyway.

--
Jacob