Re: Divx and DVD playback

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:10:14PM -0400, Gerard Ceraso wrote:
> [...]

I'd say it's Mplayer from Source, plus copious amounts of time to
(a) learn how to compile it [1) lots of -dev packages are required;
2) debian/rules configure requires tweaks; 3) lots of dlls need to be
in downloaded] and all that.

Then if you have a desktop with a good Alsa environment and an Nvidia
or an ATI you're set.  It took me quite a bit longer to get MPlayer not
to segfault on my 4 year old Sony Vaio laptop with a Chips &
Technologies graphics chip.  (It played Movies fine in XP -- it's old el
crapo driver issues).  For instance, I had to tweak X quite a bit, *and*
use the SDL compat libraries to avoid the **YOUR SYSTEM IS TOO SLOW**
messages or segfaults.  It took a couple weeks, but it finally played
DivX like a champ.  (Well, audio drifted quite a bit.  500mhz P3 w/ old
as hell graphics -- just barely up to specs).

I expect your Armada will be a bit too but hang in there.  It's worth
it.