Re: crontab: Permission denied

orry, forgot to mention I'm running unstable ...

The permissions:
ls -l /usr/bin/crontab
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          27K Sep 17 18:18 /usr/bin/crontab
toadstool:~# ls -ld /var/spool/cron/crontabs/
drwx-wx--T    2 root     crontab      4.0K Sep 21 13:55
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/

I made the changes you suggested, and that allowed me to use the
crontab <filename>
syntax.  It installed a "monique" file in /var/spool/cron/crontabs , and
'crontab -l' does what is expected.

Oddly enough, though, using 'crontab -e' at this point opens up a temp
file, and when I try to save it it gives me .... permission errors
again!  Specifically, it tries to create /tmp/crontab.wVuFCM/crontab
(doesn't use the contents of crontabs/monique).

So now, it looks like I can create crontab entries with the filename
argument, which is better than nothing ... but I'd sure like to be able
to use 'crontab -e'!

Thank you for your suggestions!
--
monique

On Sunday, September 21 at  3:39 pm, Bob Proulx penned the following: